Network Engineer - Infrastructure
The Infrastructure Network Engineer (NE) is responsible for technical specifications, evaluations and recommendations for Outside & Inside Plant (OSP & ISP) and all passive networks components. This covers all network services: data, VoIP, video, wireless, IPTV and includes the design, implementation, troubleshooting and resource monitoring to support the business plan and mission.
- Designing, building and efficiently implementing the outside and inside plants used to provide voice, data, wireless and video networks
- Analyzes, evaluates and recommends technical requirements and specifications for the seamless integration of networking resources
- Supports planning/installation of networking equipment, systems and services.
- Prepares layouts, configurations and bills of materials as a normal part of project assignments.
- Improves customer satisfaction in reliability, availability and cost of network services.
- Participates in selected aspects of user consulting, system analysis, general systems design and detailed systems designs.
- Reviews work for compliance with established guidelines of best-practice industrial/enterprise standards and/or national and international standards organizations.
- Delivers the appropriate level of documentation to support recommendations.
- Meets with management as required and provides status reports as required.
- Recommends changes in hardware, software and network configurations to maintain/improve delivery of service.
- Provides input to management for design changes or improved operations of campus IP backbone.
- Participates with vendors to assess network services, including beta or proof-of-concept tests.
- Schedules and prioritizes work to accommodate IT and customer needs while minimizing impact on current projects and network operations.
- Informs management of potential network architecture/design problems before they occur and communicates solutions.
- Escalates risks, issues and recommended resolution/remediation to the Lead Network Engineer.
- Briefs Lead or Department Manager on project issues and status as required.
- Implements network design best practices.
- Assists in educating IT staff dealing with end-users on how to best use telecommunications services.
- Works closely with other IT groups to resolve problems and implement changes or new services.
- Maintains current knowledge of telecom & networking issues and trends thru mailing lists, websites and industry publications.
- Investigates new network tools, techniques and technologies that may be suitable.
- Is fully accountable for own technical work and/or project/supervisory responsibilities.
- Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy.
- In consultation with Lead Network Engineer, plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
- Influences team and specialist peers internally.
- Influences internal customers and suppliers (internal and external).
- Makes decisions that directly influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Performs a broad range of complex technical or professional work activities, in a variety of contexts.
- Investigates, defines and resolves complex problems.
- Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications.
- Demonstrates an analytical and systematic approach to problem solving.
- Communicates fluently orally and in writing, and can present technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives.
- Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets and in accordance with relevant legislations and procedures.
- Rapidly absorbs new technical information and applies it effectively.
- Has a good appreciation of the wider field of information and computer systems, their use in relevant areas and how they relate to the business activities.
- Maintains an awareness of developing technologies and their application and takes responsibility for personal development.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, deadline-driven, complex, team-based environment with conflicting and competing priorities.
- Commitment to quality service and teamwork
- A minimum of 5 years of Engineering standards, design experience and practices.
- Full understanding, knowledge and experience in the engineering and/or construction of underground and buried copper and fiber facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of BICSI and TIA standards and other codes.
- Must be able to read, interpret, and use BICSI standards.
- Must have good knowledge of circuit design and application, as well as IT facilities construction and application of standards.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employee will also perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management as required.
- Must hold a valid Saudi Arabia Driver’s License
- Experience in designing of copper and fiber optic facilities, thorough knowledge of BICSI and TIA standards and other codes. Able to read and interpret related industry codes and standards, and incorporate into with emphasis on Telecommunications systems designs.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the Structured Cabling Systems and Other Communication Technology Systems (Security Systems, Distributed Antenna Systems, Building Automation Systems etc.)
- Experience in reviewing plans layouts and designs, calculations, specifications of contractor’s developed project drawings.
- Experience in developing tool quantities materials lists and cost estimates as required.